Monday, May 18, 2009

A Star is Born

I'm pretty sure I'm the luckiest person in the world right now. How did I become so blessed? I am in heaven with our new little addition! He is perfect in every way and I can't imagine my life without him. I look forward to every minute I get to spend with him. As I write this the tears are flowing just thinking about how much I love him!

Ok, I'll pull myself together and give you all the juicy details of Jackson's arrival (don't worry, I'll leave a few out)!

On Wed the 13th I woke up feeling sorry for myself and wishing Jackson was in my arms. I went to the gym and worked out, walked the dogs and bounced on the exercise ball all afternoon hoping it would help get him out. Jimmy worked at home all day and we ordered pizza at about 5ish. I ate a ton, more than usual which turned out to be a very good thing as it was my last meal for quite some time.

At about 6:30 pm I stood up after going to the bathroom and felt warmth running down my leg. I sat back down thinking I was still peeing when liquid started flowing into the toilet and I knew it wasn't urine. My water broke!!!

I yelled to Jimmy to get me a towel so I could stand up and we started getting ready, we knew we were finally having a baby! I called the Dr. and my parents. My mom was at the gym and started hyperventilating while running out to get home and get in the car to head up and meet her new Grandson. Jimmy and I took our time getting out of the house. I did my hair and put on some makeup, Jimmy took a shower and we packed up. We arrived at labor and delivery at about 7:30, bags packed, huge smiles and ready to get the show on the road.

I was hooked up to the monitors and was having contractions irregularly but nothing painful and I was still 3cm 90% effaced, same as the day before. We decided to try and get labor going on my own by walking the halls and relaxing. If nothing was happening by midnight they were going to start pitocin to get things moving. Jimmy's Mom got to the hospital, my friend Mary and her daughter came by and we just walked and hung out for a few hours.
I felt my 1st strong contraction at about 11:00pm. It wasn't anything unbearable but it was definitely different from the contractions I had been experiencing the past several months. The contractions continued to be irregular until midnight and my parents strolled in after a long, stormy drive just in time for the action to begin. At 12am I was about 3.5cm dilated so a little bit of progress had been made and we decided to start pitocin and get things moving. By 12:30 my contractions had really picked up and I was in some pain. I asked for the epidural and by 1:30 when I received it I was experiencing the worst pain I had ever felt. The contractions were on top of each other and lasting for about 1 minute. I couldn't get the pain medication soon enough. I'm glad I was able to feel the pain of labor and breath through the contractions but the epidural was fantastic and I'm so glad I decided to get it. The rest of the labor was a piece of cake!

Once the medication kicked in I was able to rest a bit and my Mom & Dad, Jimmy, Judy and I were all in the room chatting and hanging out. I was checked again at 3am and was about 7-8cm and 100% effaced and at 5am I was feeling the pain with the contractions again and I was checked and was ready to push. The pushing was hard work! Jimmy was amazing. He held a leg and counted for me through each contraction. After 11/2 hours of pushing, Jackson slid right out at 6:39 am weighing 6lbs10oz and 19inches long. It was magical and he was beautiful! Jimmy cut the cord and Jackson found his lungs right away. Our new life was here and we were on cloud 9!

About an hour after he was born he latched right on and started sucking and hasn't stopped since. He is a great little eater and has been a perfect little angel. He is a very calm baby and really only cries and fusses when he is hungry. We have never been so excited to see poop and pee in a diaper and we are obsessed with every grunt and little noise he makes. He is eating about every 2-3 hours round the clock but just sleeps away between feedings. I actually got about 7 hours of sleep last night (albeit I went to bed at 7:30 and got up at 7am).

Yesterday we got out and went on Jackson's first walk and 1st trip to Starbucks. He did great and it was nice to get out and about. My recovery has been going well and my pain is minimal. Nothing Advil can't relieve. My mom has been here taking advantage of all the new Grandma moments and loving every minute of it. She is headed home today for about a week and she is already crying thinking about being away from him. We will miss her!













10 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH my goodness, I can't get enough of him. He is just beautiful! I am so glad I checked back in, I loved reading your blog update. Such an amazing time in our lives, I am smiling from ear to ear and crying at the same time. He is such a blessing, we are thrilled beyond belief! And to think the little buddies will grow up together is such a great feeling.

Love- J, M, and C

Hopeful34 said...

What a great story..you had me crying. I have been following your story ever since you got your bfp and i was hoping Jackson would make his arrival quickly. congrats to you and your dh. What a wonderful feeling you must have. I hope to be there someday.

Leisha B said...

I LOVE your updates! I finally got a different Google so I immediately see updates! Haha. I love the "3 days old" pic on the chair. What a great way to measure his growth. Can't wait to see him! You are such an amazing mommy already! What a natural

jill said...

he is PERFECT! i just KNEW when you didn't post for a few days that he was on his way!!!!! so glad everything went so smoothly ... just the way it's meant to be. love love love the pictures. hope you guys are getting some rest!

Tabitha said...

Jackson is ADORABLE! Congrats!

Amber said...

So glad things went well!! He is a blessing for sure!! Congrats again!!

my hope my faith my love said...

He is such a cutie! And you look amazing as usual. It makes me so excited for my little one to come out, I need to start bouncing on the exercise ball! I can not believe your little man is here. Tell Jackson to tell my little it is better to be outside then in please!

L.A. Mommy said...

He's just so cute! Congratulations and God Bless!

The Merry Death said...

What a cutie pie! I'm happy for you, congrats!!

Justin, Jessica, Tyson, Isaiah and now Izzy (Roy too!) said...

He is so cute! Congrats Jimmy and Andrea! I'm glad to hear labor and delivery went so smooth. I can't wait to meet Jackson! I'm starting to panic a bit about my own labor. I'll be calling you for some tips! Love you guys.