Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More of the same

After a long appt today with a thorough scan of Jackson's heart I was luckily sent home with not too much to report. My cervix and fluid levels have held strong for the week. I am so relieved! My cervix (since I know you are all so anxious to hear about it's progress) is still at about 2cm. It should be about 4 cm at this point but with no change since last week I'll take it! My fluid level increased very slightly but nothing of concern. I received the 1st of 2 steroid shots in my bum. The steroids will help Jack's lungs mature so if he is to make an appearance his lungs will be more developed. I also had a FFM done where they test for a protein that your cervix makes before going into labor. If the test is positive there is a high chance of going into labor in the next 2 weeks. I will get the results in the am and they will repeat the test every week.

Along with a heart scan the u/s tech and Dr took a good look at his intestines, esophagus, bowels and stomach. Everything is still looking normal with nothing popping out that is of concern. The Dr is still sticking with her theory that with the severity of my fluid level last week there is more than likely something going on that caused it and it will more than likely return. We don't know how long it will take, what kind of a toll it take on my cervix or what we may find in the next few months or after I deliver that is causing the fluid. I tried to get a ton of answers from the Dr but there are still so many unknowns.

I was told to be on very light duty. No housework, grocery shopping, long periods of time standing, etc but I haven't been put on full bed rest yet thankfully. If there is any cervix shortening in the next few weeks than the complete bed rest is imminent.

So, for now no bad news. I will continue to go in every Tuesday for a fluid/cervix check in hopes that we will have more days like today with nothing new to report. J and I are in pretty good spirits just trying to take it 1 day at a time. We have become pretty accustomed to things happening to us that are out of the ordinary and I don't think we will be surprised or shocked regardless of the outcome of this situation. We have been trying to prepare for bedrest and a preemie/NICU baby. I get upset when I think about my labor and delivery. I selfishly feel like I am going to be cheated out of a normal birth experience. More than likely after Jack is born he will be whisked off for testing and head to the NICU. I've always thought I would have my baby, he would be put on my chest, nurse and he would be mine. This will most likely not be the case for us. I know in the grand scheme of things it isn't a big deal but after being cheated out of a normal conception I was looking forward to a normal birth with a healthy baby who never has to leave my side. Again this is all speculation and I want what is best for Jackson to be the top priority but I'm having a hard time accepting that part of our situation.

More to come with some nursery updates this weekend!

6 comments:

jill said...

hi andrea! i found your blog and have spend lots of time catching up on your story! i am so inspired by your sweet spirit and strength!!! praying hard for a healthy baby boy and mommy!!!! hope you get lots of rest. :)

Hannah said...

I understand your feelings of being cheated... I feel the same. I was really hoping at least I would get to have a vaginal birth (sorry if thats too much info) but they were both breach... I didn't even dialate (how ever you spell that) I still get irritated when people tell me how much better it is for a natural birth and all the joys that came with it... UGGG if people only had a clue... Of course I've got the girls and all I ever wanted was to be a mommy. Vent all you want I understand... you are so blessed to have Jackson!

Unknown said...

Hi Andrea,
I'm a frequent flier on your blog...I teach with Jessica, and saw your blog on her site. I love reading your story and I feel like I know you! Don't worry, I'm not a crazy stalker....just a teacher! I think my brother Joe might have worked with you or your husband at Merit? Anyways, I completely understand your feelings about being cheated out of a normal pregnancy/birth...I had a c-section (breech and low fluid levels) and it took me some time to come to terms with it. I guess one positive thing to think about is that you are being "prepped" ahead of time to process the whole situation, and it won't be dropped on you last minute. I have lots of friends who had c-sections after pushing for hours, and that's a whole different situation that can be very disappointing. Just keep those spirits high, and lay low to keep Jack cookin'!
Take care,
Anna

my hope my faith my love said...

I hope JAckson stays in as long as possible... It is kinda scary b/c I am due around the same time as you and I have NOT prepared at all.

Hope you do not get cheated from a normal birth expereicne and your test comes back NEG and you have many more weeks to bake that baby.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I am so glad that you posted an update! I checked yesterday but I was a little too early! I was quite anxious to hear your news! I am glad that you are doing well and I pray for you and Jimmy and Jackson. I cant wait to hear more and see your face and your belly soon!

Love you,
Bradey

thuriks said...

Hi Andrea! I love reading your blog. I also got to your blog through Jessica's. You have an amazing story and an incredible strength. I love how candid you have been with your experience. I had very similar feelings to those you are having with my pregnancy. Once my cerv fell under 1.5 I was put on strict bedrest for 6 weeks. It was not fun but the best thing about it was it worked. My babies stayed put for a lot longer than any Dr. anticipated. I think a lot of times the Dr's especially those at MFM are very cautious and will tell you worst case. Keep your spirits up & remember you have the hardest but most import job there is in the world right now. Try to take it as easy as possible. You are already a wonderful Mommy.