Friday, November 13, 2009

Adventures in Baby Food Making

Little baby J is a very healthy little eater! He loves meal time and scarfs down his food so quickly. It's actually really cute, he opens his little mouth and I shovel it in! Right now we are doing 2 meals a day. At breakfast he has oatmeal and a fruit (banana, applesauce or pear) and at dinner he has veggies (so far sweet potato, green beans, peas or avocado). With the exception of applesauce I've been making all of his food and it has been really easy and I think it ends up being cheaper in the long run. In between his meals Jackson is still nursing about 4-5 times a day. No wonder he is almost in 12 month clothes! For any of you mama's out there thinking of doing this, here is what has worked for me so far.

I buy frozen peas and green beans and fresh sweet potato, avocado, pears and banana. I have a little Cuisinart that is perfect for mashing the banana, avocado and pears in. It's super easy and I just do it before I feed him. For the veggies I find the blender works well and I've been doing big batches and freezing it in baggies. I just pull a baggie out every few days and stick in the fridge and we always have some ready to go. Here's the process for the peas and sweet potatoes...
Steam the peas for a few minutes in water and then add the peas and some of the extra water they steamed in to the blender and puree adding more liquid if needed.

Aren't the pretty?


Chop peeled sweet potatoes into big chucks and boil until soft, about 10 minutes.

Add the potatoes to the blender with some of the liquid they boiled in and puree adding more liquid until they are smooth and the right consistency.


I bag them all in Ziplocs and stick them in the freezer.

This is what happens when Daddy feeds you your banana and oatmeal!


3 comments:

Amber said...

I always made my own food with the girls seems to be the way to go and I think it helps when introducing them to regular food easier. And it's def cheaper!! Good Job Momma!! He doesn't look like he's starving FOR Sure!! What a Cutie!!

The Brown Family said...

homemade is the best! It's way tastier and cheaper! Naomi loved sweet potatoes.

Anonymous said...

ACES! I had a little baby food party last night, thanks for the great tips.-j